Sunday, December 4, 2011

How I Love Dime Beads



From time to time, I become taken with a particular type of bead, and I love to gather lots of colors of them and "get to know them". I can almost never walk past a tulip bead, except for one time when I encountered a day-glo orange batch of them. I also love floral beads, faceted pearls and vintage leaf beads.
Recently, I became infatuated with vintage dime beads and nailhead beads (1900s), and I started collecting them. I often used them as tiny dangles on necklaces and bracelets. I was pretty content to rely on them this way, until one day, I was puttering about with some leftover dime beads from a necklace, and it occurred to me that I had never used them with earrings. I felt rather doltish about that, and immediately
set to work. Several pairs of earrings later, I was so pleased to have used them in a different way. My lesson learned is always be willing to look, look again, leap, and keep looking.

No comments: